Frequently Asked Questions

Explore our FAQ page to answer your questions about hiring maids, ensuring a smooth and confident hiring process.

General questions

Maid Avenue provides you with the most affordable rates in the industry, without compromising on the quality and customer service. We strive to make your maid hiring process as transparent and stress-free as possible.

We take care of every detail – starting from the initial interviews and selection, through work permit applications, securing insurance, arranging travel, medical check-ups, to training. This ensures everything is handled correctly and in line with legal requirements, providing a smooth transition.

Moreover, our aim is to find the perfect maid who fits your household needs. We understand that choosing a maid agency is a critical decision as it requires good after-sales support. Trust in us, and we will ensure a seamless experience.

Anyone who is a Singapore citizen, Permanent Resident, or an expatriate with a valid work pass can apply to hire a Migrant Domestic Worker (MDW), contingent on approval from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) for the stated reason of employment.

Expatriate employers must provide evidence of family members residing with them at the time of application.

To be eligible to hire a helper, the following conditions must be met:

  1. You must be at least 21 years of age.
  2. You should not be in the status of an undischarged bankrupt.
  3. You must possess the mental capacity to comprehend and fulfill your obligations as an employer.

MOM will also assess your financial ability to hire, sustain, and provide suitable accommodation for the helper.

Your Migrant Domestic Worker (MDW) is entitled to one rest day per week. Both you and your helper should decide together on which day she will rest. However, with a mutual written agreement, the maid may work on her rest day in exchange for compensation.

Starting from 1 January 2023, it is mandatory for all employers to grant their MDWs at least one rest day each month that cannot be compensated away.

If your maid consents to work on the other rest days within the month, compensation must be given in one of the following forms:

  • Payment equivalent to at least one day’s wages. Please note, this is an extra payment and does not contribute to the maid’s basic salary.
  • A replacement rest day within the same month.

According to the Ministry of Manpower’s regulations, employers are required to remunerate their helper punctually, cover all her living expenses, and ensure her wellbeing throughout her stay in Singapore.

The average starting salary for an Indonesian maid in Singapore is $520 SGD, with the potential for an increase based on the maid’s experience and skills.
The Philippine Overseas Employment Administration has set a minimum salary of $570 SGD. The salary increases with the level of experience.
The average starting salary for a Myanmar maid in Singapore is $480 SGD to $550 SGD, with the potential for an increase based on the maid’s experience and skills.
“Ex Singapore” are maids who are not presently residing in Singapore, but have prior work experience in Singapore.
“New maids” are maids who are not presently residing in Singapore, and do not have prior work experience in Singapore or other countries.
It typically varies between three to six weeks, provided that the application is correctly submitted. However, the duration may vary depending on the maid’s country of origin in certain cases. Once you have selected your helper, our processing will commence. If her documents, such as her passport, are ready, the approval for her work permit application can be obtained in less than a week. After the work permit is approved, and if no additional processing is required, we will make arrangements for your maid to arrive within approximately one month. Please note that the exact arrival date depends on the availability of the Entry Approval date issued by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). In cases where additional document processing is necessary (based on her country’s requirements and legislation), it may take about one to two months for your maid to arrive. Again, the arrival date depends on the availability of the Entry Approval date issued by MOM. She will also need to undergo a medical check-up and potentially complete the Settling In Programme, a course required for all helpers working in Singapore for the first time, before she can officially start working. Additionally, she must pass her medical examination and have her work permit issued within 14 days of arriving in Singapore.

Transfer maids refer to migrant domestic workers (MDWs) who are currently working in Singapore under the employment of other employers and are actively seeking new employment.

This situation typically arises when the maid’s two-year contract is coming to an end or when either the employer or the maid decides to terminate or discontinue the employment arrangement for various reasons.

In order to seek assistance with the transfer process, it is essential to provide written consent to the agency.

During the transfer period, you are required to continue paying the levy until the day before the new Work Permit is issued. If the migrant domestic worker’s (MDW) medical examination is due soon, you, as the employer, are responsible for arranging the 6-Monthly Medical Examination if necessary.

If the transfer of the MDW is unsuccessful, resulting in the cancellation or expiration of the Work Permit, it is the current employer’s responsibility to repatriate the worker within 14 days from the date of Work Permit cancellation/expiry.

The worker can only commence work with the new employer once the Work Permit has been issued in the new employer’s name. Any outstanding salary should be settled on the day of her release.

Cancel the maid’s work permit immediately to stop the levy payment. Subsequently, you have one month to locate and repatriate her, as failing to do so may result in forfeiture of the $5,000 security deposit.

According to MOM regulations, work permit holders, including maids, are prohibited from becoming pregnant or giving birth in Singapore unless they are legally married to Singapore citizens or permanent residents, and have obtained government permission.

Upon discovering the maid’s pregnancy, employers should inform MOM and proceed with terminating the helper’s contract. Subsequently, the maid’s work permit must be canceled, and the employer is responsible for purchasing an air ticket to repatriate her to her home country.

It’s important to comply with these requirements, as failure to do so may result in the forfeiture of the $5,000 security deposit.

Under MOM regulations, it is not permitted for maids to engage in part-time employment.

Maid agencies offer professional and comprehensive services for maid recruitment and employment. By engaging a maid agency, you can save significant effort in areas such as maid training, work permit application, security bond, insurance, travel arrangements, immigration clearance, and medical screening, among others.


The standard monthly levy for migrant domestic workers (MDWs) is $300 ($9.87 per day).

For additional MDWs, the monthly levy is $450 ($14.80 per day).

Employers are responsible for paying the MDW levy at the end of each month, exclusively through GIRO payments. Failure to maintain a valid GIRO account will result in the cancellation of the maid’s work permit.

For first-time maids, the levy begins on the fifth day after their arrival, excluding the day of arrival. Otherwise, the levy starts on the day following their arrival.

Employers have until the 17th day of the following month to make the deduction. If the 17th falls on a non-working day, the deduction will be made on the next working day.

Employers of migrant domestic workers (MDWs) are required to post a security bond amounting to $5,000. The purpose of this bond is to ensure that employers fulfill their responsibilities, which include providing proper care and maintenance for the MDWs, ensuring timely salary payments, and facilitating their timely repatriation.

If the employer violates the conditions set forth in the Work Permit, the security bond may be forfeited. However, it is important to note that if the MDW herself breaches these conditions through her own behavior, such as becoming pregnant, the employer will not be held liable, and the security deposit will not be forfeited.

In cases where the MDW absconds and the employer is unable to repatriate her, only half of the security bond will be forfeited. This applies as long as the employer can demonstrate that reasonable efforts were made to locate the absconding maid.

Alternatively, you can purchase a maid insurance policy, which is generally a more cost-effective choice.

When opting for a maid insurance policy, you have the flexibility to select from various policies that cater to different areas of concern, such as including coverage for runaway situations (also known as a runaway bond).

However, it is important to note that even if you have a maid insurance policy, you may still be held liable for the forfeiture of the $5,000 security deposit if you fail to repatriate the maid for any reason. This requirement is mandated by the Law of Singapore, and it applies unless you are specifically covered by your insurance policy.

Tax relief can be claimed if:

  1. you are a married woman and has elected for separate assessment; or
  2. you are married and your husband is not resident in Singapore; or
  3. you are separated or divorced or widowed and living with your unmarried child for whom you can claim child relief.


Yes, you do. In Singapore, it’s a requirement to buy medical and accident insurance for your maid. This insurance has to be ready before your maid comes to Singapore, as part of your medical responsibility towards her. If she is a transfer maid, you also have to make sure the insurance is ready before she starts work at your house. It’s important to remember that you, as the boss, should pay for the insurance. You can’t ask your maid to pay for it.
You’re required to buy medical insurance with a minimum coverage of $15,000 per year for inpatient care and day surgery for your maid.
According to rules set by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM), the Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) you buy for your maid must guarantee a minimum of $60,000 per year. This covers her for her entire time working with you. It’s meant to protect her from unexpected accidents that lead to permanent harm or death. Furthermore, the PAI must not contain extra exclusion clauses that are not in the Employment of Foreign Manpower Regulations. This insurance is key for covering costs as an employer, but also to protect your maid and her family. If an accident causes her permanent harm or death, the insurance will provide secure compensation. This money should go to your maid or her beneficiaries.
Yes, your maid needs to have routine health examinations. Within two weeks after she arrives in Singapore, she must be tested at a certified medical facility. Only if she is declared fit to work after this test can she start her job with you. After this, she should have medical check-ups every six months. These check-ups include tests for VDRL, pregnancy, and HIV.
As the employer, you’re the one who has to pay for your maid’s medical costs. This includes both costs for treatments done at the hospital (inpatient) and treatments done outside of the hospital (outpatient). This rule comes from the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.

The documents you need to provide depend on whether you are a local or expatriate employer.

If you’re a local employer, you need to show:

  1. Your Identity Card (and those of your household members)
  2. Proof of income like the Notice of Assessment (also from your spouse, if applicable) or permission for the Ministry of Manpower to check your income (and your spouse’s, if needed) with the Internal Revenue Authority. If you’ve recently come back after a long time away, you need a letter from your company officer that shows: i. Your job title in the company ii. How much you earn every month iii. When you started working there

If the Notice of Assessment is not available and you didn’t pay income tax in the current or previous year, you will need:

  1. Your income tax assessment if you were working overseas
  2. A statement from CPF showing your contributions for the last three months, if applicable

If you’re an expatriate employer, you need to show:

  1. Copies of your passport – for you and your family members
  2. Your employment pass and the dependent pass of family members living with you

These documents are needed to process your maid’s work permit application.


If your maid wants to send her salary to her family regularly, you can use remittance services. Here are some service providers she can use:

ActionPlus Remittance Services
133 New Bridge Road, #03-05 CHINATOWN POINT
Singapore 059413
Phone: 6533-3083
Ameertech Remittance Services
291 Serangoon Road, #03-00 SERANGOON BUILDING
Singapore 218107
Phone: 6297-7707

If you want to cancel your maid’s work permit, you need to follow certain steps set by the Ministry of Manpower (MOM). You’ll need:

  1. A letter for the MOM saying you’re ending your maid’s employment and sending her back home.
  2. A ticket for your maid to go back to her home country.
  3. A copy of your maid’s passport.
  4. Your maid’s work permit card.

These documents are needed by the MOM to process the cancellation of the work permit.

Can't find what you're looking for?

If you didn't find the answers you need in our FAQ, we're here to help!